giovedì 10 aprile 2008

Are we maybe generalizing too much?

source


According to a dossier published on 30. October 2007 by Caritas, immigrants in Italy are up to now almost 4 millions: their number has enormously increased in the last year, in so much that Italy is now the third European country where a large number of immigrants have settled (Germany and Spain have respectively more than 7 and 4 million immigrants).

What is the general attititude on Italian citiziens to immigrants? According to recent statistics and surveys, while many Italians consider immigrant people as a necessary resource for our economy, on the other side almost 48% of the population think that immigrants are the main reason of social uncertainty and of criminality (source). What strikes me in these results is that even in the first case immigrants are seen in terms of economic income, not as human beings with a specific culture, tradition or way of living. They are often considered as potential workers, but not as people having a family, dreams or projects. I always take offence when I hear people talking of immigrants as a mere working force or as criminals: are we maybe generalizing too much? As my boyfriend comes from Albania I have the great chance to get to know a reality which is different from ours, but also different from the general idea which is portayed by stereotypes and prejudices. People coming from different countries are exactly like us: they often have other ways of living or different beliefs, that's true, but they are still people whose qualities are worth to be known and appreciated. Criminals are everywhere and belong to any ethnicity or motherland, so please stop generalizing. I'm truly convinced that any of us is different from the others, and there's no greatest chance than discovering what other people have to offer you. That's why whenever I hear racist comments like "Go back home, you all immigrants", I cannot but take offence to such marrow-minded attitude.


I would like to point out something more: according to the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary the word immigrant refers to "a person who has come to a different country in order to live there permanently". I've noticed that immigrants are often thought as those people who come from the poorest countries of the world (mainly as illigal immigrants) and then eventually become criminals. Thus, the word immigrant often has a very negative connotation. What I would like to point out is that there cannot be "First class" or "Third class" immigrants: even people from Germany, or the States, or the UK who come and settle here are, according to the etymology of the word itself, "immigrants". What we could try to do is to separate this generalized negative connotation from the actual status of an immigrant person. Using the right expressions and connotations could be a way to smooth our suspiciousness and fears..



Immigration is a very urgent issue both in America and Italy: however, while America has a very long history of immigration, Italy is at the beginning of a long-lasting process which is now giving rise to fears and doubts. I do think that a comparison with the American experience could help us not only become aware of the differencies between the policies of both countries, but also have a more rational approach to the issue.

3 commenti:

Elena B ha detto...

Hi Marta,
I cannot come to the English lesson on Monday because I'll be taking the exam for the European computer Driving License. In my blog, you'll find my proposal for the topic of our final project.
See you on Wednesday!

Elena

tortina84 ha detto...

Hi, Marta!
How are you? Even if we're no more in the same group, I sometimes read your posts. I particularly liked this one. I definitely agree with you: there's a lot of confusion when we speak about immigrants. As I wrote in my blog, too many Italians judge on the basis of stereotypes and don't look beyond their nose. For example, some days ago I was speaking with a boy. He said there are too many immigrants in Italy, that in Italy there should be only Italian people. I was horrified and I asked him who an immigrant is. He answered:" Well, all that Moldavian or Rumanian we see in the streets". I couldn't resist asking him one more question:"And what about Spanish, English, French people living here?". Answer:" What?!?!? They're not immigrants! There're just foreigners!". There's no need to comment on his answer. The problem is that there're too many people that think the same thing about immigrants and I'm really worried for our future!

Cheers,
Martina

Marta ha detto...

Dear Martina,
I totally agrre with you! Well, I do feel relieved because I can see many young people that think exactly as we do..Look for example at the forums with Dickinson: you cannot read anything racist..that's great..people are changing, at least young people! :-)