giovedì 1 novembre 2007

Halloween: are you pro or against it?


picture by robalsmith

How strange.. I'm not really used to seeing kids playing "trick or treat" from house to house on Halloween.. And now the question is: should this holiday be imported in Italy, as it is actually happening now? Well, I think my first, impulsive answer would be: "No, thank you! It's not part of our (or my?!) tradition". And in fact Halloween originally belongs to the Anglo-Saxon tradition, thus having nothing to do with our culture. You could say I'm too traditionalist or even narrow-minded, but to me Halloween does not really "taste" of anything.. It rather looks like a mere opportunity to have fun, and that's it. Of course, I'm talking of Halloween imported in a different culture, since I have the utmost respect for this festivity as it is conceived and celebrated in its true and original context. But as in Italy this holiday does not have the same historical and cultural meaning, it seems to be rather "deracinated" and even looks more like a business event than a rooted and generally shared tradition. Instead of simply copying the mere surface of this holiday, why don't we try to explore its true meaning, the habits and beliefs that originated it? At least, in this way Halloween would not just mean "trick or treat", and we would be all more aware of other people's cultures, as well as of ours.



2 commenti:

tortina84 ha detto...

Hi, Marta!
I'm very happy not to be the only one who consider Halloween an holiday which has nothing to do with our culture. And I can't accept the fact that many young people celebrate it just for fun, without knowing anything about its cultural basis.
I hope that we'll discuss about it today in class.

See you later!

Marty

Giovanna ha detto...

Hi Marta! I agree with you: Halloween in Italy is a mere copy of someone else's traditions and belief and people should understand that there is no reason to celebrate it in our country.