lunedì 12 novembre 2007

That's how cooperation works..

What's Social bookmarking?

Like everybody else, I already knew how to store my favourite websites on my computer at home..but the concept of Social Bookmarking was totally new for me untill last week.. Yet, it's an easy and useful tool: you store the webites you're interested in as you would do on your Pc, but in this case you save them online, so that you can find them anytime and anywhere you are.
What's interesting in Social Bookmarking is that you can share your favourites with other people on the Web and have access to the websites they have stored: this gives you the impression you're not a lonely Internet navigator, but you belong to a wide and welcoming community in which everybody makes their own contribution by sharing information with others. In my opinion this can be considered a way to meet other people's needs and, thus, feel more intimate with them.

As you have free access to the websites stored by the other members in the global community, social bookmarking is not a simple store of your own favourite websites, but also a way to filter information and retrieve more authoritative sources on the Web: as while surfing the Net we're constatly overwhelmed by a huge amount of information, which actually makes it difficult to distinguish between good and bad sources, social bookmarking offers you a way to narrow your search to smaller units of information..
Let's make an example: it is well known that the Web is full of websites on English learning online; overwhelmed by this amazing quantity of more or less good tools, I usually lose my patience and give up my search for online materials unsuccessfully. In this case, social bookmarking has proved to be a very useful filter, since visting my friends' bookmarks I found two interesting websites on the topic. WorldEnglish, for instance, offers exercises, quizzes, tests, grammar explanations as well as video, written and audio resources to improve all your language skills. If you're in trouble with phrasal verbs or you're interested in English idioms, UsingEnglish is a very useful website which I found thanks to my classmates. Thus, without wasting much time I found out what I was looking for by simply "asking" my classmates for it or, better, by having a quick look at their favourites. And if they'll found something interesting visiting my bookmarks, this will show how cooperation works!


photo by Amigurumi Kingdom

Nessun commento: